Health, Safety and Welfare – Aligned to UK CSTF & CPD Accredited
Health, Safety and Welfare – Aligned to UK CSTF
Health, safety and welfare training is mandatory for staff at all levels of an organisation. This is the ideal course to satisfy that requirement – a stimulating ‘entry level’ programme explaining how health, safety and welfare should be managed in any working environment.
The course outlines the basics of health, safety and welfare law and how organisations and individual can become liable for health, safety and welfare offences. Roles and responsibilities for health, safety and welfare are discussed by reference to the key legislation and the expert trainer will explore with the delegates how these responsibility are managed in practice in different types of organisation. The principles of risk assessment will be considered and their practical implementation discussed in relation to the management of the various hazards that are likely to be present in a typical workplace.
Aims and Objectives
This course will give staff:
• An understanding of health, safety and welfare law, liability and enforcement
• An explanation of the principles of health, safety and welfare management in the workplace and an understanding of who should be responsible for different aspects of health, safety and welfare
• A practical explanation of risk assessment and what constitutes a suitable and sufficient assessment
• A broad knowledge of the typical hazards in a workplace and how these should be managed
1. Overview of health and safety law
• Why is this important
• Statute and civil law
• Liability and enforcement
• Statutory duties
2. Legislative framework
• The workplace – extent of responsibility / shared responsibility
• Relevant legislation
3. Management of Health and Safety
• Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
• Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
• Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
• Accident Reporting (RIDDOR)
• How to raise health and safety concerns
• How the actions they should take to ensure patient safety
• Health, Safety and Welfare Arrangements
• Consultation with Employees and Safety Committees
4. Risk management within your organisation
• Business risk management
• Health and safety risk management
• The principles of risk assessment
• Transferring the risk to contractors and third parties
5. Risk assessment exercise
6. Managing the hazards in the workplace
• Work equipment
• Lifting equipment
• Display screens
• Manual handling
• Chemicals (COSHH)
• Personal protective equipment (PPE)
7. Practical Activity – Workplace inspection
8. Questions, discussion and review
This course provides the necessary health, safety and welfare training for anyone in a working environment. It also provides the essential foundation for those involved in middle or senior management.
This course was designed by expert in Health, Safety and Welfare, CSTF Verified and meets the outcomes for this framework.
An inter-active one-day course, with 25% of the day devoted to practical exercises. In this format, we recommend that the number of participants be limited to 15 in order to maximise the opportunity for interaction and facilitated discussion and to allow participants to explore practical examples relevant to their own situations.
The course can easily be tailored to specific working environments, eg, hospitals, offices, warehouses, process industries.